Overcoming severe facial disorders or recovering from traumatic injuries and advanced cancer treatments of the face or neck requires the specialized skills of an advanced surgeon. Facial plastic surgeon Dr. Kyle S. Choe is a highly skilled specialist with years of experience, offering unparalleled compassion and incredible results. He assists patients through reconstructive surgery in Virginia Beach, VA, to help them overcome challenging facial and cranial deformities or injuries.
Table of Contents
- What is Reconstruction Surgery in Virginia Beach?
- Benefits of Facial Reconstruction Surgery
- Am I a Candidate for Facial Reconstruction Surgery in Virginia Beach?
- A Reconstructive Surgery Consultation in Virginia Beach, VA
- Reconstructive Surgery Procedure
- Recovering from Facial Reconstruction in Virginia Beach, VA
- Why Should I Choose Dr. Kyle Choe?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Facial Reconstruction Surgery
What is Reconstruction Surgery in Virginia Beach?
Dr. Choe performs facial reconstruction surgery in Virginia Beach, VA, for adults and children suffering from a wide range of cosmetic and functional concerns. Reconstructive surgery is a type of plastic surgery that restores function and aesthetics to an area of the body that has been affected by a congenital abnormality, injury, or medical condition, including cancer. Dr. Choe specializes in cancer reconstruction, scar improvements, traumatic injury repair, rhinoplasty, and craniofacial surgery for head and facial deformities like cleft lip and palate.
Benefits of Facial Reconstruction Surgery
Reconstructive plastic surgery is often necessary to restore normal functions and reduce pain, but it also can significantly improve self-esteem and increase self-confidence through cosmetic restoration. Reconstructive facial plastic surgery is versatile and customized to meet each patient’s unique needs. There are many reasons to choose facial reconstruction surgery, as these procedures offer many benefits and can help patients reach their goals.
- Insurance companies typically cover reconstructive plastic surgery procedures.
- Septoplasty and reconstructive surgery for the nose offer improved breathing and enhanced sleep.
- Reconstructive surgery can repair Mohs’ surgery wounds and restore the skin’s appearance after skin cancer removal with high-tech surgical methods like the flap technique or skin grafting.
- Conceal deeper scars by transferring healthy skin to the area with skin grafts.
- Provide healing for severe burns.
- Remove extra tissue in large keloid scars to improve the appearance and reduce side effects like itching.
- Repair trauma with reconstructive face surgery, including rhinoplasty to repair a broken nose and remove a noticeable nasal hump
- Improve a face deformity caused by an injury or abnormality
- Restore function and transform appearance due to a cranial deformity like a cleft lip and palate that makes it difficult for a child to eat or breathe
- Improve overall quality of life
Facial Reconstructive Surgery Before-and-After Photos
Am I a Candidate for Facial Reconstruction Surgery in Virginia Beach?
The best candidates for facial reconstruction surgery are healthy children, teens, or adults with realistic expectations. Because facial reconstruction surgery patients in Virginia Beach have a wide range of concerns, candidacy is assessed on a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Choe at his state-of-the-art surgery center.
A Reconstructive Surgery Consultation in Virginia Beach, VA
Kyle S. Choe performs private reconstructive surgery consultations in Virginia Beach at The Choe Center. This is an essential step in the process and an ideal opportunity for each patient to share their goals and desires, to ask questions, and to build a relationship with the plastic surgeon. Dr. Choe will share before and after photos from similar reconstructive plastic surgeries, explain the recommended operation, and discuss the expected results.
Most reconstructive surgeries contain cosmetic surgery components. Dr. Choe has many years of experience performing both reconstructive plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery like facelifts, cheek augmentation, and rhinoplasty. He is an excellent board-certified plastic surgeon who provides outstanding, natural-looking results.
The Reconstructive Surgery Procedure
At The Choe Center, Dr. Choe performs complex reconstructions, including craniofacial surgery of the head, skull, and jaw, and reconstructive nose surgery for teens and adults. He also performs reconstructive surgery for burns and cleft palate and lip surgery for children. Dr. Choe performs basal cell carcinoma facial surgery and Mohs surgery reconstruction at his state-of-the-art surgery center in Virginia Beach.
Dr. Choe customizes each surgery to meet the patient’s unique needs, so the details of each procedure vary widely. Before surgery, he thoroughly explains the details of each facial reconstruction procedure including the surgery time, the anesthesia to be used, the recovery and the expected results.
During the consultation, Dr. Choe will recommend the best reconstructive plastic surgery plan available and when possible, will suggest laser surgery. A staged procedure or multiple surgeries are sometimes needed for Mohs recovery, burn surgery, or cleft palate and lip surgery.
Recovering from Facial Reconstruction in Virginia Beach, VA
Typically, the treated area is covered with a dressing following reconstructive surgery. Nose reconstruction patients may need to wear a splint for the first few days. Each patient is provided with facial plastic surgery aftercare instructions, including how to safely bathe and the best sleeping positions.
Dr. Choe will examine the surgical area, assess the results, and examine any stitches after one week. Swelling and bruising will gradually fade during the first weeks but may persist for several months after reconstructive surgery in Virginia Beach.
Patients typically feel comfortable enough to return to work and resume their regular activities within one to two weeks, depending on the details of their operation. Patients should closely follow Dr. Choe’s aftercare instructions to encourage smooth recovery and optimal results.
Why Should I Choose Dr. Kyle Choe?
Dr. Kyle S. Choe is a board-certified plastic surgeon and otolaryngologist who specializes in cranial and facial disorders and facial plastic surgery. Dr. Choe’s many qualifications include:
- Double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology.
- Performs facial surgery at a state-of-the-art surgery center using the best treatment options and innovative technology.
- Only performs cosmetic surgery, reconstructive treatments, and plastic surgery for the face and neck.
- Trained under the tutelage of some of the world’s leading head, neck, and plastic surgeons who have contributed groundbreaking research to prestigious publications including the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal.
- Serves on a team of physicians, nurses and medical helpers participating in annual medical missions that serve the poor in Asia, Europe, Central, and South America treating adults and children with severe injuries from trauma and congenital disabilities.
- Presents lectures and has written medical articles on revision rhinoplasty and endoscopic facial surgery.
- Has extensive experience performing advanced aesthetic face surgery like minimal incision facial surgery for the mini and traditional facelift, cheek enhancement, and more.
FAQs about Facial Reconstruction Surgery
Dr. Choe is a reconstructive surgery specialist who performs complex nasal reconstruction and facial surgery after Mohs, a common cancer treatment, including local flap surgery, skin grafts, and forehead skin stretching.
Local flap surgery uses a flap of skin to cover a small wound. Skin grafts can cover a large area of missing tissue with relocated skin. Forehead skin stretching is a staged procedure that involves an expander that is placed under the forehead to create additional healthy skin that is then used to conceal a large wound on the nose.
Dr. Choe specializes in facial reconstruction and provides each patient with a customized treatment plan. If you have a facial or cranial abnormality, injury, burns, or if you desire restoration after the removal of a facial tumor or skin cancer, you may benefit from facial reconstruction. Dr. Choe will share before and after photos from previous Virginia Beach reconstructive surgery patients with you during your private consultation.
Dr. Choe will discuss your surgical options with you during a private consultation. Facial reconstruction incisions are carefully planned to achieve optimal cosmetic and reconstructive results. Dr. Choe discreetly places each incision in the natural contours of the face, in the hairline, behind the ears, or under the chin to conceal them.
All plastic surgery operations, Including cosmetic procedures and reconstruction surgery, carry risks. Most plastic surgery procedures are performed without any problems, but some possible risks may include an adverse reaction to anesthesia, swelling, and soreness, bleeding, and infection. Dr. Choe will explain the procedure to you and discuss the benefits and risks before you decide on your treatment.
Dr. Choe will provide you with a complete list of pre-surgical instructions. Supplements, vitamins, and medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, and Aleve can cause excess bleeding and should be avoided two weeks before the surgery.
Other preparations for facial reconstruction surgery include setting up a ride to and from the surgery with a friend or family member and requesting assistance for the first few days after the procedure.
Most reconstructive plastic surgery patients return to work and resume low to moderate activities within one to two weeks, depending on the extent of the surgery. Dr. Choe will explain any post-surgical limitations and discuss returning to your usual schedule during your consultation.
Schedule Your Reconstructive Surgery Appointment
Dr. Kyle Choe is a board-certified plastic surgeon in Virginia Beach, VA, who specializes in reconstructive facial surgery for children, teens, and adults. Find out more by contacting The Choe Center at 757.389.5850 for a facial reconstruction appointment.